IN Practice Tests
Our permit practice tests in learning mode has 25 random questions based on the handbook and real IN BMV tests. After each question, you have access to instant feedback with detailed explanations.
How should you study? Well, your first step is to get the latest version of the Indiana Driver’s Manual. When you’ve studied the handbook, you can use these practice tests to check your progress and level of readiness.
The passing score in Indiana is 84 percent, which means you should be able to answer at least 21 questions correctly. It is a good idea to aim a little higher on a practice test. Take enough tests to make sure you can reach a score of 92 percent with ease.
Indiana Knowledge Exam
Who Must Take the Test?
An Indiana the written knowledge test is required when:
- You apply for a learner’s permit and are not enrolled in a driver education program.
- You apply for a driver’s license after completing a driver education program.
- You are a first-time chauffeur’s license applicant.
- You are a first-time public passenger chauffeur’s license applicant.
- You are younger than 21, have active points on your driving record, and want to renew a valid driver’s license.
- You are a new Indiana resident with an out-of-state or out-of-country license. If you have held an out-of-state license for less than 180 days, you must pass the Indiana BMV knowledge test to obtain an Indiana Learner’s Permit.
- Your driver’s license has been expired for more than 180 days.
- You have six or more active points on your Indiana driving record.
Indiana Knowledge Test
The Official BMV written knowledge test is based on information contained in the driver’s manual. The purpose of the test is to make sure you have a basic understanding of Indiana traffic laws and safe driving practices. You must be able to read and understand highway signs regulating, warning, and directing traffic.
The BMV test consists of two parts and a total of 50 questions. The first part will test your understanding of highway signs. It has 16 questions and you must correctly answer at least 14 questions. The second part will test your knowledge of Indiana traffic laws and common safe driving techniques. It has 34 questions, and you must have 26 correct answers to pass.
The test consists of multiple choice questions concerning traffic maneuvers and knowledge of types of traffic signs.
You should arrive at a license branch at least one hour before the branch closes, otherwise you wil not be able to take the written test, If you fail the knowledge exam you must wait until the next business day before you can take it again.