Century Council Fighting Drunk Driving
It is now 20 years since The Century Council started fighting drunk driving and underage drinking. Since then drunk driving fatalities have decreased by 32 percent and underage drinking has declined 49 percent. These statistics and others are positive indicators of the gains being made to fight drunk driving.
Still underage drinking and drunk driving continue to be an issue in U.S.A and many other countries.
10,839 People Killed in Drunk Driving Crashes
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 33,808 people died in traffic crashes in 2009, including an estimated 10,839 people who were killed in drunk driving crashes involving a driver with an illegal BAC (.08 or greater).
This is still too many. It is easy to forget that dry statistics represent real people and real lives. Every single injury and death caused by drunk driving is preventable.
What You Can Do
Things you can do include:
- Never drink and drive.
- Never ride with anyone who has been drinking.
- Volunteer to be a designated driver.
- Always use a safety seat belt.
- Use four-lane highways whenever possible. Avoid rural roads.
- Avoid travel after midnight (especially on Fridays and Saturdays).
- Drive defensively.
- Drive a car with airbags.
…And support the Century Council