Mercedes-Benz reveals updated versions of its E-Class family for 2014. The new E-Class family takes a significant step forward with regard to efficiency and the environment. Among the contributing factors are engines with direct-injection and ECO start/stop technology.
The extensively updated 2014 E-Class Sedan and Wagon feature highly efficient engines, an array of new driver assistance systems and even more refined styling.
11 new or optimized assistance systems from the future S-Class are now introduced in both the sedan and wagon models. They combine a host of comfort and safety features, referred to by Mercedes-Benz as Intelligent Drive.
The new or updated systems include:
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist can help the driver keep the vehicle centered in its lane and can semi-autonomously follow in-line traffic.
- For the first time, the Brake Assist system BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist is able to detect crossing traffic and pedestrians, and boost the braking power applied by the driver accordingly.
- The PRE-SAFER Brake can now detect pedestrians as well and initiate autonomous braking.
- PRE-SAFER PLUS can identify an imminent rear-end collision and then prompt the PRE-SAFER system to trigger occupant protection measures that reduce the forces exerted on passengers. If the vehicle is stationary, it can also prevent secondary accidents in the event of a rear-end collision by applying the brakes.
- Active Lane Keeping Assist can now detect when the adjacent lane is not clear, including the presence of oncoming traffic, overtaking vehicles, crash barriers etc. Under threat of a collision, even if the lane marking is not a solid line, the system can prevent the vehicle from leaving its lane unintentionally by applying the brakes on one side. This system pairs perfectly with Active Blind Spot Assist.
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist PLUS allows high beam to remain permanently switched on without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the beams’ cone of light.
- Active Parking Assist enables automated parking with active steering and brake control in both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
- The Surround View Camera will cover all four sides of the vehicle and enable a 360-degree view including virtual bird’s-eye perspective – a top view of the vehicle and its immediate surroundings. Dynamic guide lines help during parking and maneuvering.
Mercedes-Benz not only maintain its pioneering role in vehicle safety, the new E-Class also takes a major step forward in terms of efficiency, thanks to the new four cylinder diesel engine. An extensive package of design updates round-off the new and compelling features of the MY14 E-Class, delivering an accomplished combination of efficiency, intelligence and style.
You can see The 2014 E-Class Sedan and Wagon in U.S. showrooms this spring.
Source: Mercedes-Benz USA